- 100g unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 3 tablespoons (50g) Natvia
- 2 Free Range eggs
- 80ml butter milk (or milk soured with 2 tsp lemon juice)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each of mixed spice and ground cardamom
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 10 prettiest patty cases
- Muffin tray to hold 10 muffins
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line your muffin tray with 10 patty cases.
- In a large mixing bowl place the melted butter, Natvia, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Add the berries and mix very lightly until just combined, using a metal spoon. Do not over mix!
- Quickly divide muffin mix between patty cases, filling each one about ¾ full.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Makes 10 cupcake sized muffins
Substitute blueberries with raspberries, chopped apple, choc chips, sultanas or raisins.
Buttermilk produces the best result, if not available add 2 tsp lemon juice to the milk.
Even though it is thicker than a cake batter, muffin batter is always lightly and very quickly mixed. Muffins are by far best eaten on the day made, but can be reheated in the microwave for 20 seconds. Delicious hot out of the oven and the ideal morning pick me up or after school treat. Great for lunchboxes too.